- So why bother to learn English? Well, one good reason is that it no longer belongs to any specific country or culture. English has spread and settled all around the globe, and long lost its attachment to England. English is a truly international second language and, despite its absurd number of words, is arguably quite easy to learn as it is easy to understand even when spoken badly.
- Over 400 million people use English as their mother tongue.
- Over 700 million people speak English as a foreign language.
- Of the World’s over 2,700 languages, English probably has the largest vocabulary (the Oxford English Dictionary lists about 500,000 words).
- Seventy-five percent of the world’s mail, telexes and cables are in English.
- More than 50% of the world’s technical and scientific periodicals are in English.
- English is the medium for 80% of the information stored in the world’s computers.
- English is the language of navigation and aviation.
So – Why Bother to Learn English?
January 3, 2013